Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Marathon Training - Week 20

Unfortunately the week of rest didn't do anything for my shin/knee issue. I ran a short tempo run on Monday and the pain immediately returned, which is very frustrating. I attempted to play soccer on Monday night in the hope that running on the grass would help, but that didn't work out either and I ended up playing most of the night in goal.

On Tuesday I went to the gym to start strengthening my leg muscles. During the recovery from my Achilles strain I did a lot of work on my calf muscles and it is since I returned to running following my break that this pain has appeared in my opposite leg. As I mentioned in my previous post, I noticed that I had lost significant strength in my quads and have started to strengthen them at the gym and at home.

I ran 5 miles on Wednesday and Friday and kicked at the pool on Thursday. I wasn't in any shape to be able to run a long run on Sunday and went to the gym to cycle instead.

This pain in my right shin, calf and knee is annoying as I am now less than 100 days away from the marathon and should be running much more each week than I am able to at the moment. Hopefully the strength training will help address the issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment