Monday, July 25, 2011

Marathon Training Week 3

Monday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
My body felt great after the 11 miler the day before apart from a callus/corn/blister that seemed to have developed on the bottom of my left little toe. I have nearly constant problems with this toe as it underlaps the toe next to it even when I don't have shoes on. This means that part of the toe is "squashed" with every step that I take and the pressure eventually creates a callus/corn that becomes painful. I haven't managed to find a solution to the problem yet although band-aids do provide some help and eventually the pain goes away. Unfortunately the band-aids don't stay on during long runs (I have tried lots of different types, but they all eventually work their way off). My toe pain didn't stop me from doing a upper body (30 dumbbell curls, 30 overhead presses and 30 standing rowers, 30 press ups) and lower body (2 minutes eyes closed single leg balances, crazy feet) work out.

Tuesday: Planned: 3 miles - Actual: 5 miles (Baby Jogger)
I knew this would be the last morning for a while where the temperature and humidity were tolerable (it was 72F with 77% humidity) so I made sure to I got out early and enjoyed the run with Jack.
Stats: 5 miles, 40:41, 8:08/mile average pace

Wednesday: Planned: 6 miles - Actual: 6 miles (Baby Jogger)
The heat (77F) and humidity (93%) were awful, combined with the fact I had to run the Greenway from end to end twice to get to 6 miles made this run uncomfortable from the start (it is mentally challenging to get so close to home only to have to turn around and run another 3 miles). I ran in my Nike Free's for the first time in a while to give the little toe callus/corn some extra padding.
Stats: 6 miles, 49:39, 8:16/mile average pace

Thursday: Planned: 3 miles - Actual: 5 miles (Baby Jogger)
I arrived a little late to the NCRC Social Run and had to run on my own as everyone else was doing a 5K route and I wanted to do 5 miles. I actually enjoyed a break from the humidity (45%) and the high temperatures (97F) didn't bother me too much. Jack and I went through the first mile in 7:24 and then relaxed a little for miles of 7:44, 7:50, 7:55 and 7:52. I wore my Nike Free's again as they certainly didn't make the callus/corn on my little toe any worse the day before.
Stats: 5 miles, 38:47, 7:45/mile average pace

Friday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
In hindsight, I shouldn't have pushed my legs as hard during this workout as I did (because I really felt it on Saturday and Sunday). I did 3 x 10 forward lunges, 3 x 10 backwards lunges, 3 x 10 toe raises, 3 x 30 seconds balance on one leg, 3 x 10 single leg heel drops, 3 x 10 single leg squats, 3 x 10 straight leg lifts, 3 x 10 single leg bridges, 3 x 10 hip abductors, 3 x 10 dumbbell curls, 3 x 10 overhead presses, 3 x 10 standing rowers, 3 x 10 press ups, 3 x 10 squats and 3 x 25 sit ups for a full body workout.

Saturday: Planned: 6 miles - Actual: 6 miles (Baby Jogger)
The temperature (80F) and humidity (77%) combined with the full body workout the day before made the last three miles of this 6 mile run harder than they should have been. Jack woke up early, so we managed to get out the door 30 minutes earlier than normal but it was hot and muggy and I was covered in sweat nearly immediately. I ran the same 6 mile route as on Wednesday and it was mentally hard to push up the hill towards the halfway turn around with my legs screaming that they had had enough. I pushed through though and completed the run.
Stats: 6 miles, 50:11, 8:21/mile average pace

Sunday: Planned: 8 miles - Actual: 8 miles
80F with 80% humidity made this 8 miler seem like 16. My legs felt heavier than they did on Saturday and both Steph and I were very glad when it was over.
Stats: 8 miles, 1:15:19, 9:24/mile average pace

Total for Week 3: 30 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment