Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Marathon Training Week 13

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 6 miles @ 7:36/mile


Thursday: Rest

Friday: 6 miles @ 8:18/mile

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 20 miles @ 9:56/mile
Steph had been away for the weekend but rushed back from Asheville to run 20 miles with me at 3pm on Sunday afternoon. Luckily this run was scheduled for October and the weather was a cool 65F with a bit of wind as we would never have been able to run at 3pm in August when temperatures were close to 90F. We decided to stay close to home for this run and avoid the 30 minute drive in each direction to get to Umstead. This meant that Jack and Liz were able to come out and cheer for us at about 6 miles and that we could stop by the house at around 12 miles to refill our water bottles.
The 3 hours and 20 minutes of running passed by relatively quickly but running 20 miles (3 miles further than I had ever run before) on mostly concrete was hard and my entire lower body ached from about 14 miles onwards. Had I not been running with my running partner, I would have really struggled to get through those last 6 miles.
This run had a dual purpose for me: 1. running 20 miles at "long, slow distance pace" builds endurance and body strength, 2. it helped me build a huge amount of confidence that I have recovered from my injuries and that my body will be able to handle the marathon distance in 5 weeks time!

Total miles for Week 13: 32

No comments:

Post a Comment