Monday, February 13, 2012

New 5K PR

I took a decent sized step towards my goal of running a sub 20 minute 5K yesterday by completing the Run for the Roses 5K in 20:27 (a PR by 15 seconds).

Although my Garmin data only reports 91 feet of elevation gain, the up hill portions of the final mile certainly felt larger than that yesterday! It was a bitterly cold day (41F, 3C) with gusting winds of around 15 miles per hour so I warmed up wearing lots of layers and stripped down to my shorts, short sleeved shirt and gloves just before the start of the race.

I banked 30 seconds or so in the first mile (6:07) when the course was mostly flat or downhill and we were protected from the wind and there was actually a point when I wondered whether I needed my gloves on or not. At the half way point the course took a turn and the up hill portions of the race began just as the wind appeared - I was glad I hadn't taken off my gloves now!

Mile 2 was steady (6:39) as I tried to maintain some speed but reserve some energy for the final mile. The final mile has a section that looks like a "S" where we turned left, right, right, left and then left in less than 0.4 of a mile which is then followed by a up hill section. I tried to keep my cadence high through this section knowing that I could easily lose 10-15 seconds if I backed off at this point. I passed a few runners in mile 3 (and didn't get passed by anyone) and didn't even notice a 6:57 split beep on my watch as we rounded the final corner and headed for the finish line.

I could see finish line clock ticking up as I made my way through the final 0.1 of a mile and I knew I'd PR. NCRC volunteers cheered for me by name as I ran towards the finish line. The clock read 20:28 as I crossed the timing mats and I hit stop on my watch. I'd later find out that my chip time was 20:27!

I didn't run the Run for the Roses last year, but the year before I had run a 22:28 and wondered if I'd ever get under 22 minutes - I think I've come a long way in 2 years! Now I just need to find another 28 second improvement from somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment