Saturday, February 20, 2010

Law Enforcement Torch Run 5K for Special Olympics

This third race of the Second Empire Grand Prix of races was held at the NC State Centennial campus in west Raleigh to benefit the NC Special Olympics. I had looked at the course map and elevation chart before the race and knew that there were a couple of long hills, but given my new PR in the Run for the Roses I felt confident that I was strong enough to run a good race.

The weather was again cold (40F, 3C), but the sun was out and it didn't feel quite that cold. I decided to run without my hat and gloves, but with the rest of my cold weather gear on. Given the success of using a GU before the Run for the Roses, I decided to do it again this time and took it about 15 minutes before the start of the race.

I started out fast with the pack and passed through the slightly down hill first mile in an amazing 6:35. I was shocked when I looked down at my watch as I didn't feel like I was going at that speed.



The second mile included a long climb which I really struggled to make it to the top of. My pace slowed to 7:27 for the second mile, but I had a steady downhill portion to come, so I wasn't too worried. I tried to relax on the downhill, but found it hard to make up the time I had lost on the incline. I struggled through mile 3 in 7:21 and managed to kick to the finish for a final time of 22:12 - another PR!



Elizabeth and a few of the ladies from her Boot Camp also participated in the race. Well done to Elizabeth for completing such a difficult course!



I still don't know how I went through the first mile in 6:35. I didn't feel like I was pushing overly hard, but given my struggles in miles 2 and 3, I can only assume I was. I have the first mile to thank for another PR and an improvement of 16 seconds over my time from only 2 weeks ago.

Srini Iyer (20) won the race with a new course record 16:07 which gives me 724 points for the Second Empire Grand Prix. I finished 64th of 645.

No comments:

Post a Comment