Saturday, February 6, 2010

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Today was my first attempt at the Krispy Kreme Challenge. The Krispy Kreme Challenge consists of:
1. Run 2 miles from NC State University to the Raleigh Krispy Kreme store
2. Eat 12 Krispy Kreme Glazed Donuts
3. Run 2 miles from the Raleigh Krispy Kreme store to NC State University
- all in less than 60 minutes.

Kristin came to town this weekend to participate. Scout was excited to see her.



It was another cold day in Raleigh, and although rain was forecast, it didn't actually rain during the race.



The run to the Krispy Kreme store was fine, although it turned out to be more like 2.3 miles. It took about 18 and a half minutes to get to the store, where was given a box of 12 donuts and directed around the other side of the store to find somewhere to eat. I had been told that the best way to eat the donuts is to squash 2 or 3 down as they contain a fair amount of air. The problem with this plan is that the donuts are glazed on both sides, so I ended up with a large amount of sticky sugar all over my hands before I had even take a bite!



I tried various techniques; donuts with water, donuts without water, little bites, big bites, chewing, no chewing etc. but once I looked at my watch and realized it had taken me 20 minutes to eat 6 donuts, I knew I wasn't going to make it. Kristin and I tried for another 15 minutes, but neither of us was anywhere near finishing, so we called it quits, and left our remaining donuts, bypassed the "completed" chute and began our run back to NC State University.

On our run back, Elizabeth called me to check on our progress. She had managed to eat all 12 donuts and was ahead of us near to the finish!

Although I didn't successfully complete the challenge, I am glad that I at least tried it as it was a unique experience to participate along with 5999 other people who wanted to try to run 2 miles, eat 12 donuts and run 2 more miles.

Final thought: I know now that I am simply not built for competitive eating competitions!

No comments:

Post a Comment