Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Core Exercises

The core plays a huge part in maintaining good running form and given that I am currently injured, I thought I'd spend a little more time focusing on strengthening my core. There are hundreds of exercise routines available on the interweb and through a process of elimination, I have selected a few exercises that I do regularly.

Plank:
  1. Lie in a push-up position with your forearms on the ground
  2. Keep your body in a straight line, your elbows directly below your shoulders, and your abdominals pulled in.
  3. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds.


Side Plank:
  1. Shift to your side, keeping the elbow directly under your shoulder and both feet on the floor, top foot in front.
  2. Lift your hips until your body is in a straight line.
  3. Hold for 30 to 60 seconds.


Bridge:
  1. With your head, shoulders, and both feet on the floor, push up into a bridge position (I fold my arms across my chest to make sure I am not using them to keep me in position)
  2. Contract your glutes and hold for 30-60 seconds



My typical workout consists of two repetitions of:
Plank (30 secs)
Side Plank right (30 secs)
Plank (30 secs)
Side Plank left (30 secs)
Plank (30 secs)
Push Ups - 20
Bridge - hold 30 secs
Bridge - 10 reps of push up, hold 3 secs, return to ground
Bridge - hold 30 secs
Bridge with right leg extended - hold 30 secs
Bridge - hold 30 secs
Bridge with left leg extended - hold 30 secs
Bridge - hold 30 secs

No comments:

Post a Comment