Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Marine Corps Marathon Thoughts

Well, here we are. It is only 5 days until the 35th Marine Corps Marathon takes place in Washington DC and I wish all of the runners that line up at the start at 8am on Sunday the very best of luck as they take on 26.2 miles. The weather looks like it will be a perfect 50-55 degrees with partly cloudy skies to help them on their individual mental and physical challenge.

I won't lie, I am a little disappointed that I won't be in DC to run my first Marathon. I have had numerous emails and Facebook messages from Team Fisher House and the Marine Corps Marathon about the events that are taking place this weekend and each one is a reminder that I won't be there... Had things gone according to plan, I would be there at the start line with butterflies in my stomach about to run 26.2 miles for the first time. But, things didn't go according to plan, I missed the majority of my training due to injury and I will instead be running a 5K here in Raleigh dressed as a Hot Dog!

In hindsight, things worked out for the best. Elizabeth will be 8 months pregnant on race day and the drive and sitting around all day wouldn't have been very comfortable for her at all... let alone me worrying that she might go in to labor while I am out running!

Running the 36th Marine Corps Marathon in 2011 will be my one and only goal for 2011 and I am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment