Monday, August 15, 2011

Marathon Training Week 6

Monday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
My legs were tired after yesterdays long, hilly run in Umstead, so I just did an upper body and core workout today. 3 x 10 dumbbell curls, 3 x 10 overhead presses, 3 x 10 seated rowers, 3 x 10 press ups and 3 x 30 seconds plank.

Tuesday: Planned: 3 miles - Actual: 5 miles
The weather doesn't really seem to be a factor anymore for me. The weather station said today was 74F with 85% humidity, but to me it felt cool and I got sucked in to running faster than I should have. I ended up with 8:08, 7:39, 7:35, 7:45 and 7:32 without even really pushing that hard but I know I need to run slower, especially less than 48 hours after a long run.
74F, 85% - but felt cool
Stats: 5 miles, 38:44, 7:44/mile average pace

Wednesday: Planned: 7 miles - Actual: 7 miles
Success - I actually managed to run an entire 7 miles at a slower pace! I felt great at the start again today and with the cooler weather (70F, 87% humidity) it was hard to stay around 8:30/mile, but after 3 miles of fighting the urge to go faster I settled in to a rhythm and ended up with 8:33, 8:28, 8:23, 8:34, 8:34, 8:35 and 8:24.
Stats: 7 miles, 59:35, 8:30/mile average pace

Thursday: Planned: 3 miles - Actual: 5 miles (Trail)
On an overcast and cool morning I decided to head back to the Nature Park and run on the trails. The Border Trail is around 2.2 miles, so I typically only end up running it once on a 5 mile morning given the distance from the house to the trail. I decided that I really wanted to run the Border Trail loop twice to get some more miles on the packed mud instead of the pavement so I walked nearer to the park before starting my run. I nearly got the distance right, but was about 1/4 of a mile off and had to walk the last part of the trail once I hit the 5 mile mark - and then walk the mile home! I'll walk nearer to the park before starting my run next week.
Stats: 5 miles, 49:27, 9:53/mile average pace

Friday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
I just did an upper body and core workout today. 3 x 10 dumbbell curls, 3 x 10 overhead presses, 3 x 10 seated rowers, 3 x 10 press ups and 3 x 30 seconds plank.

Saturday: Planned: 7 miles  - Actual: 7 miles @ Marathon Pace
I started later than normal today (11am) and ran 7 miles at Marathon Pace with my hand held water bottle. I settled in to a rhythm quickly and ran what felt like an even effort over the hilly course.
Stats: 7 miles, 58:36, 8:21/mile average pace

Sunday: Planned: 10 miles - Actual: 10 miles
I ran this 10 miler alone today as Steph was away for the weekend. I focused on running at a slower pace and keeping my effort to a minimum. I ran from the house in to Falls River and down to the Upper Neuse Greenway. They have made great progress over the last few weeks and apart from a unfinished 20 yards or so, I ran out to Falls of Neuse Road and back. It really will be nice when the Greenway is finished!
Stats: 10 miles, 1:33:47, 9:22/mile average pace

Total for Week 6: 34 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment