Monday, August 22, 2011

Marathon Training Week 7

Monday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
Complete rest day.

Tuesday: Planned: 4 miles - Actual: 5 miles
I made a point of stretching more than normal before and after the run today to make sure that my Calves were warm and loose and I ran in my Nike Free's today in an attempt to give my tired Achilles some extra support. I felt fine during the run but the ache returned later in the day.
Stats: 5 miles, 42:13, 8:26/mile average pace

Wednesday: Planned: 8 miles - Actual: 8 miles
I felt fine when I woke up and I repeated my longer than normal warm up and ran in my Nike Free's again. Although my Achilles felt fine for the first 6 miles, the ache returned and didn't go away for the rest of the day. There doesn't appear to be any swelling at all, which is very strange.
Stats: 8 miles, 1:06:47, 8:20/mile average pace

Thursday: Planned: 4 miles - Actual: Rest

I decided it was time for a day of rest, which combined with tomorrows scheduled day off would give me two days of rest before the longer runs at the weekend.

Friday: Planned: Rest - Actual: Rest
Complete rest day.

Saturday: Planned: 8 miles  - Actual: 8 miles
I ran the flattest 8 miles I could find and my Achilles felt fine throughout the run. I iced the area when I got home and although there is a small tender spot (It feels like I have strained one side of my Achilles), there still isn't any swelling.
Stats: 8 miles, 1:08:03, 8:30/mile average pace

Sunday: Planned: 16 miles - Actual: 16 miles
Steph and I headed out to Umstead early and ran for 16 miles including Reedy Creek and Turkey Creek trails. The Achilles ache came and went throughout the run, never causing any pain, just aching. The run itself was great, I felt like I had plenty of energy and no other aches, pains or soreness. I took an ice bath when I got home and my legs felt fine for the rest of the day. I am traveling to Phoenix next week (and most likely three out of the next four weeks) where it is 115F every day, so I won't be running outside. I have also decided that it presents a good opportunity for 5 days of rest, so I won't be running again until my 8 mile run on Saturday. Hopefully the rest will allow my Achilles to heal and get me back to pain/ache free running.
Stats: 16 miles, 2:40:00, 10:00/mile average pace

Total for Week 6: 37 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment