Thursday, March 18, 2010

A chance to run with Scout

Today was the perfect day to run with Scout, and she was very excited about the idea!



My scheduled run was my final 3 mile run before this weekend's Shamrock Half Marathon and the weather was nice and sunny (60F, 16C) - the perfect distance and conditions. When I was running shorter distances in 2008 and 2009, I ran with Scout frequently and worked out that she does best with runs that are 3 miles or less and on days with a temperature between 45F (7C) and 65F (18C).

Why is this important you might ask? Well, if you have ever run with a dog, you will know that they will run all day, just to be with you. They don't think about pain and discomfort in the same way as humans do, and often ignore it in order to please their owner. If you don't pay attention to their breathing and hydration, it is easy to end up with a dehydrated or injured dog.

Scout is rather easy to read. She (at the age of nearly 6) still has lots of energy and is easily excited. We start with a brisk walk for 4 or 5 minutes, then attempt to jog slowly. I say "attempt" as Scout likes to take off at full speed, dragging me along behind. After 20 or 30 seconds, she works out that I still run at the same pace as I used to (slower than her), and as I control the speed with the leash, she is better off moving along at what can best be described as a fast trot. She likes to be out in front with the 8 foot leash tight. Over the years, she has learned that I don't like her running directly in front of me, and that she should run on my left side and not under my feet! The less said about those days, the better!

Scout typically covers the first mile and a half with the leash tight, attacking the hills at full speed (she actually speeds up for the hills!). At around a mile and a half she starts to gradually move backwards towards me as her energy levels begin to lower. By two miles she is beside me, and puts in the occasional burst of speed as she fights with her inner desire to be the leader. This is the time that I pay most attention to her. I listen to her breathing and watch her tongue to make sure that she isn't pushing herself too much or becoming dehydrated. On the warmer days, she would be visibly struggling by this time and I'd stop so she could cool down. Over a number of runs, I worked out that 65F was about her maximum. Anything warmer and we could barely cover a mile before she was exhausted. We tried longer distances in cooler temperatures, but it didn't seem to make a difference... 3 miles is about her maximum.

I enjoy running with Scout as it is fun to watch her react to her surroundings, especially other dogs. Her trot style changes as we approach other dogs and becomes more exaggerated as if she is saying to the other dogs "look at me running, aren't I great!". She did really well today, and we both enjoyed our run. I expect she will celebrate by sleeping and snoring the afternoon away...

No comments:

Post a Comment