Sunday, March 7, 2010

Marathon Training - March

I have finalized my Marathon Training using the guide in the book "Run Less, Run Faster"

This book covers a training program which requires only three running sessions per week: a speed workout, a tempo run and a long run. The rest of the week has two cross-training sessions which are non-impact workouts and two rest days. This program works well for me as I have no desire to run 5 or more days a week!

Starting with Monday March 8th, there are 34 weeks until the Marine Corps. Marathon. My training program is too large to post in a blog entry, so I will post a month at a time and update weekly on my progress.

Here is March's training program which includes the Shamrock Half Marathon and my recovery time.

Week 1: Week starting March 8th
==================
Speed: 5 miles easy
Tempo: 5 miles easy
Long: 5 miles easy

Week 2: Week starting March 15th
==================
Speed: 4 miles easy
Tempo: 3 miles easy
Long: Shamrock Half Marathon (8:00/mile)

Week 3: Week starting March 22nd
==================
Speed: Rest
Tempo: Rest
Long: Rest
Other: Mutt & Jeff 5K (3/27)

Week 4: Week starting March 29th
==================
Speed: 10-20 min warm up, 6 x 400m (1:36) (400m RI), 10 min cool down
Tempo: 6 mile run: 2 miles easy (8:57/mile), 2 miles @ short tempo (7.22/mile), 2 miles easy
Long: 12 miles @ Marathon Pace + 30 (8:40/mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment