Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mutt and Jeff 5K

Click here for the map of my run.

Elizabeth, Scout and I traveled to Newport News, VA this weekend to take part in the Mutt and Jeff 5K (and ride roller coasters at Busch Gardens). The Mutt and Jeff 5K helps to raise money for the under-served and uninsured recently diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer and is organized by our good friend Kristin. We even managed to convince Shane and Bridgett to come to Newport News and compete in the race as well!

The drive on Friday evening was horrible. It rained the entire way from Raleigh to Newport News and I hate driving in the dark when it is raining as lots of the roads have poor road markings. However, we did eventually make it safely to our hotel and settled in for a good nights sleep.

Scout slept at Granny Roady's house and will be staying with her for a couple of weeks.

We woke up at 6am to get some breakfast and were happy to see that the rain had stopped over night and the roads were mostly dry. I had packed shorts, my singlet and short sleeved tech shirt as the forecast was for around 45F. I went with the short sleeved tech shirt and upon stepping outside realized that it felt much colder than 45F with the wind - oops. I rode the 3 miles from the Hotel to the race location with Shane and Bridgett while Elizabeth went to collect Scout.

We checked in with Kristin and I collected my #7 bib (it helps to know the organizer!). We sat in the car for a while to avoid the cold wind and at about 8am (30 minutes before race start time) we went back around to the check in area. Scout had arrived and was very happy to see us!

I kept my fleece top on and went for a jog at 8.15 to warm up a little and realized that I should have worn gloves as the wind was freezing! I hadn't thought to bring my gloves with me, so there was nothing I could do. I knew my hands would eventually warm up, but it was going to take a while.

I had set my watch for 7:05 per mile, which would have got me close to my 22:12 PR knowing that this is a very flat course and I had a great chance of beating my previous best (and certainly my result from last year at this race - 23:42). I had rested since the Shamrock Half Marathon and felt good and eager for a fast run.

The 140 or so runners and walkers lined up at the start and got our instructions from the starter. I noticed the runner who would eventually win the race doing some high knee lifts and leg lifts with his feet getting up to around his ear! No, I can't do that... maybe I will be able to one day!



The horn went and we went off at a decent speed. I try not to get caught up in sprinting away from the start line as when I have done it in the past I don't seem to end the race very well. As we rounded the first corner I was in 8th place overall, and by the time we hit the 0.5 mile point I was in 4th as the sprinters began to realize they couldn't hold their starting pace and started to slow down. The freezing wind went from being at our backs to in our face and my hands were still frozen as we passed through the first mile in 6:45.

The first two runners were ahead in their own little group and I was in a group of 4 or 5 runners for the next half mile. I felt comfortable with the pace and began to wonder which runner in the group would be most difficult to beat for 3rd overall. There were two men in their 50s, one of which had a good efficient stride and looked comfortable, I thought he would be the one to beat. The other man appeared less comfortable with the pace and was breathing a little harder. There was a younger, tall guy who seemed to be slowing down which I found a little surprising as he appeared to be more than just an occasional runner.

As we passed 1.5 miles, the man I picked out as the one to beat edged ahead of the group slightly. I glanced at my watch and noted I was 27 seconds ahead of my PR pace. I felt good and my hands were beginning to warm up. I toyed with the idea of going with him, but decided I'd keep him within 10 or 15 yards and would see what happened. We passed the 2 mile mark with a split of 6:50 and the 3rd placed man was less than 10 yards ahead of me. All of a sudden, within a minute I was next to the 3rd place man. I checked my watch, I wasn't speeding up, so he must have been slowing slightly. As I moved up on his shoulder, he wished me luck and I realized he was most likely done. I thanked him, wished him luck and told him to keep going. I glanced over my shoulder and had a 20 yard lead over the 5th place young, tall guy. Third place was mine for the taking!

I eased ahead in to third place trying to keep my pace steady. With half a mile to go, I had a 20 yard lead in 3rd place and I could see (and hear) Elizabeth, Kristin and Scout in the distance. One last glance over my shoulder to check I still had a decent lead - which I did, and I increased the pace.



I passed the screaming, high kicking supporters with the final turn in sight and was joined by the cyclist that had lead the front runners around the course. He gave me a split of 21:10 and urged me to sprint to the finish. I gave everything I had and crossed the line at 21:25.



I couldn't believe I had finished 3rd overall and smashed my PR by 47 seconds - the flat course made such a difference! Shane and Bridgett also set PR's and it was smiles all around as we made our way to the food/drink area to get some refreshments.

Kristin announced the race winners and I collected my 3rd place medal with Scout (who was the favorite attraction for all of the kids, lots of adults and the Chick-Fil-A cow).




We returned to the hotel, grabbed lunch and then went to ride roller coasters at Busch Gardens! Overall a fantastic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment